Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A New Experience


A new experience from a few days back:  After a good day of working together as a family installing new fence posts (future pasture for goats), I got the excavator quite stuck in the mud.  


The stuck part wasn’t the new experience (I’ve managed that a few times).  The new experience came after getting out of the mud (for which I am very thankful).  I was driving out of the mud when my track came off.  I managed to limp the excavator along using the scoop, remaining track, and blade.  I got it to a slightly less muddy area.  Jessie and Micaiah helped me clean all the mud out of all the crevices and track, then we let it sit for the night.  The next day I put the track back on.



After watching a video on YouTube on how to replace a rubber track, I learned that it can be done in about 1/2 hour with the right tools, help, and knowledge.  Well I didn’t really know what I was doing, didn’t have any help, and according to the video one of the right tools was a forklift!  The tracks are actually surprisingly heavy, I can hardly move one across the ground even going little by little.  I don’t know what my time was to completion, but I managed to get the track back on and spinning around perfect again.  Now at least I know what I’m doing for next time.  Now if I just had a forklift....

-Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment