Tuesday, March 12, 2013

First Day Gathering (by Ken)

Four guys, one tractor, six white buckets with heavy-duty handles, and a trailer with metal tanks...and we were in business.  Today was the first day gathering sap from the buckets in the Lyndaker sugar bush, and we had the great opportunity to snowshoe in the rain most of the day!  Actually the snowshoes were on and off today depending on what part of the woods we were in.  For example: I would be getting along just fine in my rubber boots, then gradually the snow got deeper, then a few buckets later I’m past my knee in snow with two five gallon buckets of sap.... ok, time for the snowshoes again.

  

Other than being soaked through several times it was a good day with a good group of guys.  Three of us gathered the sap while one drove the tractor.  Actually there was a fifth person working full-time in the boiling shed keeping the fire roaring and the steam rising so the delicious syrup could be made.  When we came back with a load of sap from the trees to unload into the vat we would then stack a new load of firewood for the “boiler man,” and warm up a bit and try to dry off by the evaporator.  Then back out again.  By the end of the day I believe we brought in over 2,000 gallons of sap.  I’ll be back at it again tomorrow morning, and if all goes well tomorrow, we will have completed our first round of gathering.


Somehow even after all of this I still had a little steam left, so when I got home I went out with the kids and we put in twenty spouts and buckets near our house.  Then after a quick visit to care for the goats I finally got out of the cold wet clothes and had a nice hot shower.  A good day & I’m tired.  I think if I can finish this post I’m going to fall asleep on the floor or pretty much anywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment